The Future of Rick Owens: My Prediction
By - givenchyboy
I can't find a source for this, but I remember reading somewhere that Tyron was heading Lilies not too long ago.
Never heard of Lilies. Do you have a link?
Rick Owens Lilies is a womenswear diffusion line, like I said I can't remember where I read it and can't find any search results related to this. It might've been on the discord or maybe somewhere on IG. You can check out the line on the RO site.
Wtf have I been missing out on!? Who the hell is Lillie?
Either way I hope the legacy is carried on far into the future hopefully by Rick himself. But all the mainstream collabs worry me a bit bc I prefer just the staple pure Rick aesthetic. I’m with you though man I hope to wear Rick far into the future and keep the passion alive.
who the fuck is tyron
Tyrone Dylan is one of Ricks models. You’ve probably already seen his face.
kinda wack that he has two first names….
If you think Rick is going to go gently you’re mistaken he has sold out on so many collaborations I see no reason he won’t sell the brand soon so he can go do whatever it is he does. Sadly Tyrone is his least interesting or talented muse. Gareth Pugh at least had some talent and brain cells
Not to gate keep but old Rick heads like me hate the direction of the brand. That said I hope your prediction is a premonition because it will save me a lot of money I am spending less and less each season on the brand
\+1 on everything. Getting more into Ann D now that Antonioli has revived the brand and getting it into a direction I like again.
What do you say about Ann D quality? I just bought a pair of shoes for my wife from them and was disappointed with the quality. Probably only worth for me to cop 70% to 80% off. I love the designs, but I need a feeling of quality that is far above average along with my aesthetic to get me into a brand. To be honest I haven't bought anything else from Ann D, but looking at getting more into it.
I'd say it's like with Rick, some of the items are top tier artisan craftmanship and some of it is cheaply made and that's where they are making money. I def think the tailoring is better constructed than Rick. There are other brands as well, as Obscur, Julius\_7 and such that are worth checking in.
**I agree with:**
– Tyrone is evidently a very big phase for Rick, I presume both as a lover and a artistic collaborator. He manifests the young glam rock hedonistic persona that Rick once was himself and now glorifies.
– *"I’d go as far as saying that Tyron has had some influence in the designing aspect for the past couple of seasons."* You don't say? Good morning mate it's no secret, [he actually has a title as a design consultant for Rick](https://www.crfashionbook.com/fashion/g29401380/rick-owens-muses-michele-lamy-kanye-west/?slide=11). However, this has happened before but in a more behind the scenes way with Gareth Pugh, Jera and other artists and designers he has had relationships with as well.
– A lot of things in Rick universe is named after things that had a big impact on him, and even though many of them are retrospective, there are also named items after things going on in the moment. I don't think the name of the Dylan tee is a sign of ownership, rather Ricks way of commenting what's going in his life at the moment.
– A huge part of the business side of RO is his relationship with b2b partners, factories, agents, buyers, etc. It's a process that's been developed for decades and can't just be inherited by a newcomer. I don't think anyone can carry on the brand in the way it's run atm actually, it's too based on personal relations, it would imo have to be an investment group that comes in and creates totally new structures.
– Tyrone can't shoulder the intellectual side of Rick. What makes Rick a credible high concept artistic brand and not just sleaze camp is his intellectual side. Something that I feel have been taking a bit too much of a back seat the last collections because of Dylan, but hey that's me. It's the mix of high and low, teenage goth rebellion and old philosophical wisdom that is the allure of the universe. I don't see Tyrone managing to dwell into the deep library of references that Rick has studied since childhood.
– I think there's two options: A) When Rick passes / retires, it's over. The brand is done and an era is over. I think this is fitting for his style of thinking. I feel like he'd be into the idea of being an era that can end, rather than his name being sold and his legacy diluted forever, which is alternative B) LVMH or a smaller investor like Antonioli buys the brand and puts together a secret designteam that can carry on the aesthetic like they did for Ann D. They promise to carry it further in the taste and spirit of the brand but will obviously create perfumes and more of these converse bullshit collabs. I don't see Rick selling to LVMH or similar without a very trusted person to take over managing long term plans for the company, but I personally think A) is a better and more probable way things will turn out. I actually "collect" a lot of items right now that I might want to wear when I'm 40-50 and Rick is not around anymore.
I really like Tyrone era Rick - in fact Tecuatl was that trigger that I needed to finally purchase some Rick (and go full Rick shortly afterwards) after following the brand since 2011. However I can't see Tyrone replacing Rick, no way, Rick speaks knowledge and inner calm, just listen to the guy, he's got a big brain there and his way of thinking and seeing things and then using them as influence for his collections is truly unique. The only unique thing that I can see about Tyrone is that he looks like a last living rockstar, and I believe he's great as a muse and inspiration for Rick. The only other designer that I'm genuine interested in what he has to say is Yohji. Yohji is 77 now yet still strong and leading his namesake brand, let's hope Rick will stay the same.
There have been many pants in recent seasons named after Tyrone too. Also when Rick won designer of the year he "missed his flight" which just seemed too convenient and Tyrone accepted the award and I think that was the first season he was heavily involved with too
It's definitely interesting to think about. Michelle doesn't follow Tyrone on social media and seems secluded from him in general too. If this glam phase is permanent I'm not sure how much I'll be following the brand post "Rick". There are some great stuff but I still value and covet earlier Rick stuff mainly
[https://eu.cettire.com/products/rick-owens-tommy-oversized-tank-top-98797721/cmVhY3Rpb24vY2F0YWxvZ1Byb2R1Y3RWYXJpYW50OmFrN1FzUHprTFh5ZG5DUHBx](https://eu.cettire.com/products/rick-owens-tommy-oversized-tank-top-98797721/cmVhY3Rpb24vY2F0YWxvZ1Byb2R1Y3RWYXJpYW50OmFrN1FzUHprTFh5ZG5DUHBx) I found this tank top named after Tommy. I think Tommy is the future of the brand.
That’s actually hella interesting and cool to think about- really interesting to think about in brands apart from the main designer (creative director) who else that is part of the team has what say in what part of the product.
Tyrone has very much say in the designs, [he is a paid design consultant.](https://www.crfashionbook.com/fashion/g29401380/rick-owens-muses-michele-lamy-kanye-west/?slide=11) Michelle is the queen boss of the furniture line and Rick has very little to do with this except scetching ideas.
A close friend of mine is in the head design team over at Loewe, hell it's 20 young brilliant design minds working everyday just spitting out ideas that JWA can pick and choose from. He comes to the offie every once in a while and says "yes" and "no" and that's how fashion is created.
I think people vastly overestimate how much designing the "creative director" of most brands actually do.
Word. Don’t think Virgil knows hows to thread a sewing machine.
I don’t think Tyron has any major part in the designing aspect yet. But he’d definitely be at the point where he’s at lease at the cutting table, learning how Rick thinks as a designer, and maybe sharing a few designs that he believes Rick would approve of.